Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default refried beans

On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:54:19 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Long and slow makes them "baked beans"? So you're thinking like one
> > of those barbecue fanatics? No way!

> Having had Hispanic family through my ex-wife, agreed. Long and slow
> pinto bean recipes by them aren't called "baked beans" just "beans".
> The sweetest ingredient they put in their recipes is tomato or onion,
> definitely savory not sweet.
>
> > Sure it's always cooked slow,
> > but always there's molasses in there too. I've never eaten any "baked
> > bean" that didn't have molasses.

> Molasses or other sugar source. I've made them with molasses, sorghum
> and/or maple syrup. For me more generally sugar than molasses in
> specific.

Isn't sorghum usually followed by the word "molasses"? I've only
recently started using all molasses, not very much of it either and a
teaspoon of vinegar. It's still a bit sweet, but I really like it. I
know there are lots of maple syrup fans out there, but AFAIC maple
syrup is best on pancakes and waffles. I cease liking it when it's
used elsewhere (like for candy) and I will not sully my baked beans
with it.

> I figure "baked beans" were originally made in ceramic crocks in the
> oven of a stone hearth from the days before Franlin invented the cast
> iron stove. Since then the coooking options have gotten wider but the
> name "baked" remains. I have made them in a ceramic crock in the oven
> but it takes less effort in the electric crockpot.

I just use my oven these days. To me, it's no effort. I used to have
a special bean pot that had its own electric burner. I'd put it on
and let my beans cook to perfection overnight, but I have no idea
where that disappeared to.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.