Posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe for Chop Suey, 1905

I was going to post this in part to give some life to this group,
but I am pleasantly surprised to see some new posts! Yay! So now
I will just offer this as a bad archaic recipe:

Chop Suey
Source: Afternoon Teas. Chicago: Armour & Company, 1905.

"This is in Chinatown a mixture of chicken livers, gizzards, fresh
pork, green ginger root and celery. For the Mandarin Tea try out
slices of canned Cervelat Sausage, and saute in the fat chickens’
livers and gizzards. Add a small quantity of green ginger root
and celery. When heated in the fat, add olive oil, vinegar,
boiling water, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and a dash of spice.
Simmer for thirty minutes. Add a small can of mushrooms, half a
cup of French peas, and serve the mixture with the 'see-yu' sauce
which can be purchased at a Chinese grocery."

There is also a recipe for "Chow Min" that contains, among other
things, olives and paprika.

I am curious as to how easy it was to find Chinese grocery stores
in large US cities back then. And did non-Chinese tend to
frequent them?
--
Jean B.