Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default refried beans

sf wrote:

> Long and slow makes them "baked beans"? So you're thinking like one
> of those barbecue fanatics? No way!

Having had Hispanic family through my ex-wife, agreed. Long and slow
pinto bean recipes by them aren't called "baked beans" just "beans".
The sweetest ingredient they put in their recipes is tomato or onion,
definitely savory not sweet.

> Sure it's always cooked slow,
> but always there's molasses in there too. I've never eaten any "baked
> bean" that didn't have molasses.

Molasses or other sugar source. I've made them with molasses, sorghum
and/or maple syrup. For me more generally sugar than molasses in
specific.

I figure "baked beans" were originally made in ceramic crocks in the
oven of a stone hearth from the days before Franlin invented the cast
iron stove. Since then the coooking options have gotten wider but the
name "baked" remains. I have made them in a ceramic crock in the oven
but it takes less effort in the electric crockpot.