Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default refried beans

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> I missed the orginal post. Did you make them with sweetner and bake them?
> I prefer mine to be savory vice sweet but there's lots of good recipes for
> both! Plenty of them use the oven to polish them off after using a stove
> or crockpot to do the basic cooking.

No sweetener. I used olive oil, onions, garlic, smoked lardons, canned
canellini beans (including the water in the can), fresh herbs: parsley,
sage and lemon thyme and a good glug of white wine.

Yesterday I made a second pot. Mostly the same...but, I used 3 cans of
butter beans and one of red kidney beans and I used meat from a joint of
smoked ham. Once again, excellent There are leftovers and I want to try
to use them as a 'side' with something else...but I don't know what I
have never like smoked foods much, but they go so well with the beans I
wouldn't think of leaving it out now

> In my case, I'm just used to it at least with the weight types of
> measures. I get a little confused on liquids and definately if the recipe
> says 'x grams water' or something like that.

When I work out a recipe I like, I get out the measures and change the
measurements to metric. I do that with cup measurements too. I hate the
inconsistency of the cups.

> Something closer to 2L would work best for you.

I showed you the one I am using now. I really only use it for stock though

>>> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
>>> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

>> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.

> Same here, but we use the breadmachine for most of it. Only now and again
> to we do just 'dough' then put it in the oven. Did that this past weekend
> though as we wanted 3 loaves and I have only 2 breadmachines. I was
> hosting a party and wanted some for gifts (grin).

I cooked my beans very slowly in my cast iron post on the stove, because I
needed my oven for bread.

I have a bread machine but use it only for mixing. The dough doesn't rise
long enough for my liking in the machine and it always turns out heavy. I
make my dough much wetter than recipes give. I was very recently, lucky
enough to spend an afternoon with someone who uses up to 110% hydration!!!
Man that was some experience and has given me the confidence to use higher
hydration in my usual breads with amazing results

You give bread as gifts at parties?... Cor... when is your next party...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/