Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] is offline

Default The Lunchtime Reception

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> All the ingredients for the canap? have been carefully sourced from
>> Royal Warrant holding companies using UK-based ingredients. These
>> include:

>Now that's a foodie post of interest. Thanks!

Yes, a drool-worthy menu. In one of the vids on the official web page,
they talked with the head chef, and one of the kitchen staff was making
the pates de fruits - cutting them ever so precisely and rolling them in
sugar.

I read somewhere that Ms. Cairn's fruitcake is for sale at upscale grocers
in the UK. True? I'd like to try some - I HATE American fruitcake, but
English fruitcake is great. The decorations were wow. I enlarged the
photo on the Flickr set to see the detail. The "biscuit cake"
looked great too!

>I was actually hoping they'd have a roast swan. I've read that all
>swans in the Themes river system are crown property because they are a
>traditional centerpiece for a royal feast. I've read that last year for
>the first time in decades the Queen joined the royal swan counter on his
>annual count of the birds.

Yeah, I don't think it would have played well even with the whole
all-British locally-sourced theme.

>I've read that roast swan is even better than roast goose. I found a US
>source for swan frozen and packed but at $999 including shipping I doubt
>I will ever spring for one.

Yeah, I'll pass too.

Charlotte