Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

"Ed Pawlowski" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>> Jerry, I live in Italy and I buy lots of genuine cheeses that have the
>> last name Romano, but Romano alone means nothing. Really.
>>

> http://bestnewyorkfoods.com/locatell...ellicheese.htm
> History about Locatelli Romano Cheese
>
> Dating back to ancient Roman times, Pecorino Romano is one of the world's
> oldest recorded cheeses. Pecorino is an Italian word meaning from sheep's
> milk, and Romano indicates that this cheese is of Roman descent.

Pecorino Romano is a real cheese, as indicated above. Romano doesn't have
to do with being Roman, but that they use calvesė rennet to make it. AFAIK,
no cheesemaker in Sardegna makes Pecorino Romano, but instead Pecorino
Sardo, which uses lamb's rennet.

It MUST be sheep's milk, and never as someone said earlier sometimes cow's
milk or even in part.