Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

On Apr 27, 6:24*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 4/27/2011 10:46 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
>
> > If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
> > It's as real as it gets.

> That's the brand my store had and what I bought. *Do you find it overly
> salty? *Do you buy it as a block or already shredded (powdered)? It came
> in a plastic tub. *Very intense flavor.

It's rather salty, but then I use it on pasta and I salt neither the
pasta nor the home-made sauce. My store charges about $.50 a pound
more for grated, so I grate it myself. I buy a pound or more when it's
on sale and grate no more than half a pound at a time. My Quisinart
DLC-8 makes quick work of it and cleans up much more easily than from
cheddar.

Jerry