Noemi Noemi is offline
Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
I am getting very frustrated. I know my mom is making ham and deviled eggs
for Easter dinner. I know there are strawberries. I just called there and
she said my dad was fixing them. I know there will be raw veggies. She
told Angela to fix those. But the rest? I know there are King's Hawaiian
Rolls and there will be an ice cream cake. My mom put out at least 4 kinds
of candy while we were there today. She usually puts out some kind of chips
before dinner and also some bean dip and hummus. Most likely there will be
brown rice for SIL and maybe some kind of potatoes. My brother will
probably bring salads that I can't eat like pasta, coleslaw and potato. He
usually does.

I just put the baked beans on to cook in the Crock-Pot. I used about half
beans and half bacon. 4 cans of beans. Little bit of mustard. Maybe 3/4
cup of ketchup and 1/4 cup molasses. A little bit of Splenda. Not a lot
because they didn't seem to need it. 2 large white onions well caramelized.
This adds most of the sweetness I think. So lower in carbs than most baked
beans.

I then decided while we were at the store yesterday to bring some cheeses
and Angela wanted some expensive dry salami.

So I called my mom and said we would be bringing these. Her response? Oh!
I guess I should get some crackers then. Honestly I didn't even think of
crackers! I never eat crackers with cheese. I have brought cheese plates
to countless parties and nobody ever asked for a cracker.

I am trying to make sure we have a lot of low carb foods because I have a
mom in denial about her own diabetes. She says she will always have high BG
when tested but it is NOT diabetes. Yeah right. She is getting on my dad's
case because he does have diabetes and may soon have to go on insulin. He
has to go back for diabetes education and see a dietician yet again. My
brother is now on insulin and his BG is out of control. And then there's
me. Doing better but still some high numbers.

My theory is if you don't put it out, they won't eat it. Yes, my SIL needs
the rice. She had pre-diabetes. No longer has it because she lost over
half her body weight but I worry because she appears to be gaining weight
again rather rapidly. SIL is on a special and rather strict diet because of
some odd nutritional deficiencies. She also has to eat pickled things for
her digestion. So yes, she needs the rice. But mom will cook a ton of it
and then everyone but me will end up eating it.

The rolls, ice cream cake and candies are for my nephew and his girlfriend.
But again because there are tons, they will all eat it. I'm sure there will
probably be pies brought by my brother. It amazes me, the amount of
desserts that they will eat. I bought some large egg shaped paper plates
for dinner. I bought them last year and we used them. I told my mom I
would be bringing them. She said she didn't think we would use them for
dinner but for dessert. Really? I was like... Uh, I bought dessert
plates. You know... The little ones? Uh huh. Really?

Gah! So, yeah, I know when another person is serving dinner it is next to
impossible to avoid the carbs. Not that I eat totally low carb because I
don't. But I do try to provide options like the cheese and salami but then
someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers there. It also bugs me
because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't really want the crackers there.
She will just think that is one more thing she can't eat.

So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause? Perhaps
my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the store today and
she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for Angela but I didn't see her
buy crackers. She did buy Peeps though.
I know what you mean. Sometimes, you really just have to grin and bear it and exercise a LOT of self-control.
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown