Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

"Doug Freyburger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Not all Romano is made from sheep, especially here in the U.S. but if
>> it specifies "Pecorino" then it better be from sheeps milk.

> I am amazed how similar cheese can be made when the base milk came from
> different types of critter. The best romano is made from sheep milk
> like the best mozzerella is made from water buffalo milk, but top
> quality ones of both types are made from cow milk.

Not really. Romano cheese isn't real. Pecorino Romano is real and is made
of ewe's milk using rennet from calve's stomachs. Pecorino Sardo is made of
ewe's milk using rennet from lambs' stomachs. If you use any other kind of
milk it is called other names such as cacciocavallo, but not Pecorino.