Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Apr 24, 10:28 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:22:15 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In the meantime: <http://tinyurl.com/5wmjmjj>

>> I have one of those and used it maybe twice. It's hard to get my hand
>> around the two handles and it doesn't produce grated cheese in mass
>> quantity as fast as I'd like.

> The old Moulis were the best, but then they cheapened it up by using
> thin metal. We have a Cuisipro now, I think. They work faster than
> using a Microplane. The whirlies are also excellent for grating
> nutmeats.

My first Mouli was good. All metal. The only problem was that I had a hard
time finding it and I actually had to have a cooking store order it for me.
Wasn't cheap either! But it didn't grate a lot at one time and you did have
to cut the cheese to fit in it. Now that I think about it the main thing I
used it for was grating chocolate. I used to make a chocolate tweed cake
that called for that.

Eventually it got bent out of shape. Not sure how that happened but I did
have roommates back then. Subsequent Mouli's had plastic on them and broke
very quickly. I gave up on them.

Now I have something that is sort of like a microplane. Actually I have
two. One with larger holes and one with smaller. Not sure what you'd call
them. They are much wider than a microplane. I got them at Central Market.