Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

On Apr 22, 10:03*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> How different is this cheese from Parmigiano Reggiano?
> excuse spelling please, it is all a cut and paste to ask this question.
> * I've been googling to answer my question.
>
> I'm making Potatoes au Gratin and wanted Parmigiano Reggiano but my
> block is so hard that I didn't want to spend time grating it so picked
> up an already grated container from the deli but it wasn't Parmigiano
> Reggiano when I got home, it was Pecorino Romano. How different is this?

To me, Parmigiano is a lot stinkier. I switched to the milder-smelling
Romano for grating cheese long ago for that reason.

But the quality of what's sold as Pecorino Romano varies quite a bit.
I usually try to get Locatelli brand because it's widely sold and I
know what to expect -- if not I try to taste it. It's good for
homemade pesto.