Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 01:03:07 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>How different is this cheese from Parmigiano Reggiano?
>excuse spelling please, it is all a cut and paste to ask this question.
> I've been googling to answer my question.
>
>I'm making Potatoes au Gratin and wanted Parmigiano Reggiano but my
>block is so hard that I didn't want to spend time grating it so picked
>up an already grated container from the deli but it wasn't Parmigiano
>Reggiano when I got home, it was Pecorino Romano. How different is this?

Cooked in recipes it makes no difference, nor can anyone taste a
difference. Parmigiano Reggiano is properly a table cheese (not a
grating cheese 'grano') meant to be eaten in pieces... it's grated
when it spoils by becoming too dry. Anyone paying top dollar for
overly dry Parmigiano Reggiano (or already grated) is being ripped
off.
http://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/default.aspx