Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

"Kent" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>> "Cheryl" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> my
>>> block is so hard that I didn't want to spend time grating it so picked
>>> up an already grated container from the deli

>> Use a Microplane, the big original one that grates fine as if for zest.
>> It makes short work of old cheese.
>>

> Agree, use a Microplane, or any other vertical grating device.

Microplane is 150% easier!

> 1. Pecorino is cheap and so, so, though that's up to one's taste

Hohoho! Perhaps just any old Pecorino might be cheaper, but Just you try to
find a Pecorino Sardo of any distinctiveness and age and tell me you didn't
pay more for it than a 2 year Parmigiano!

> 2. Parm. Regiano comes from heaven above, and lifts your soul to new
> heights. It's expensive, if it's real, about 2.5X as expensive as
> Pecorino, but worth it.

Not necessarily. Also considering what it is and does, I don't think of
Parmigiano as expensive.

>For a potato dish I probably use another hard grating cheese > that you
>like. The Parm. will get lost, I'd think.

Not if it's good.

> 1. If the cheese doesn't grate readily, it's probably marginal

You kidding? I buy 5 year old Parmigiano that is a brick.