Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Easter dinner?

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all
>> else. I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe from
>> Colleen who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and some
>> Splenda but mainly they get their sweetness from tons of caramelized
>> onions. I also add bacon which her recipe did not have. She didn't
>> really have a formal recipe. Just told me what to put in and I do it to
>> taste.
>>
>> I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw
>> veggies and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be other
>> things that I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax muffins for
>> Angela to have for dessert. I might also bring some cheeses.
>>

> We're having Nueski's Old Fashion ham and a couple side dishes and maybe a
> fruit dish, I think it will be just Wayne and I this year. Daughter and
> her Family are going to the Park to celebrate Easter with her Hispanic
> Husbands Family(They always have the whole family...cousins Aunts Uncles
> etc. We are invited but it is really getting difficult for me to walk far
> any more.

I know the feeling. My muscles are still recovering from all the walking I
had to do this past weekend at the dance convention. When we left, I
plopped down on a bench in the parking garage, handed my room key to my
husband and said I literally couldn't walk another step. And that was true.

We had a bellhop bring in our bags. This particular hotel does not allow
you to use the cart and bring your own bags in. And we had far too many to
carry in one trip because I had brought food for the entire weekend.
Thankfully Angela and I were able to buy two meals there or we would have
been living off of hummus, pretzels and green beans. That was pretty much
all that was left of the food except for a few snacks. I didn't dare bring
much that needed to be refrigerated and that was a good thing because we
never did get the fridge. Next time I will be smart and bring a hard sided
cooler. There was an ice machine right outside our door.

Husband refused to get the bellhop when we left. He had me tip him $20 to
bring the bags in. This seemed a bit excessive to me, but I don't know what
the standard rate is. We had fewer bags when we left because we did eat
most of the food but alas we had plenty of soda left. We did drink some in
the room but there was no way to really chill it to take with us when we
left the room.