Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Butter on green beans?

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:37:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and
>>made
>>them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them.
>>But the
>>directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read
>>of a
>>recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on
>>them.
>>Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with
>>little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.
>>
>>I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew
>>up
>>eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while
>>they
>>were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
>>remember having those a few times.
>>
>>So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I
>>ever put
>>butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while
>>on
>>popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

> I prepare green beans in several different ways.
>
> Salt pepper and butter is one way.
>
> Onions sauteed in butter with salt and pepper, then add the cooked
> beans and toss.... that's another.
>
> italian style is with garlic, onion, canned tomatoes, olive oil and
> oregano and basil.... all cooked together. That's another way.

Lovely, that's how I often cook zuchini, but not stewed as I think Alice
mentioned AL dente, lol. Helps to cook the sauce first to mix the
flavours then add the zuchini (and often green capsicum, bell pepper)and
leave in only long enough to be cooked but still crisp.

Nice as a side or over a nice veal steak or chop.