Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nan[_3_] Nan[_3_] is offline

Default I have something new to deal with

On Apr 7, 2:49*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Nan > wrote:
> > I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> > I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> > Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> > I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> > floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? *It was
> > so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. *I had saved
> > one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
> > ache *again. *Lasted a couple of hours. *I couldn't believe that this
> > small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. *I
> > posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
> > intolerance. *And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
> > carbs, it was objecting. *DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
> > and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. *But O MY were
> > they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
> > - 20 hours. *My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.

> > I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. *What do you use as
> > a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> > and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> > bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> > this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> > wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> > Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, * Nan in DE

> Corn starch or rice flour, or sometimes Arrowroot when I'm feeling
> flush. ;-)
>
> Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.
>
> Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
> And several others here too...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien- Hide quoted text -

Thanks OM. I thought I remembered that you were gluten intolerant.
I'll keep on keeping on and read labels. And ignore some of the
Conventional Wisdom that is out there. They don't live in my body.
I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
45#.
Now I have that to lose, and what I had before.
Going outside to get some Vit D.
If you, OM think of anything else that would help me, please Email
me. Thanks All, Nan in DE.