Michael Plant

Default Loose Tea vs. Tea bags

4/14/04

> I'll defer to Lew and Michael on that one, since they've both had far
> more experience with tea than I have (especially Japanese tea--I'm
> mostly a Chinese-tea drinker).
>
> However, it was my (limited) understanding that Japanese teas, on the
> whole, were more likely to be broken-leafed and less likely to give
> multiple infusions than a comparable grade of Chinese tea.
>
> Sorry for my rashness there.

Actually, I think you're quite correct about the leaf. The Chinese revere a
beautifully made, full unbroken leaf, while I've never gotten a Japanese tea
regardless of price that was truly full unbroken leaf. The Japanese leaf
parts are large enough though to offer multiple infusions. I'm often struck
by the artificial looking green of so many Japanese teas -- that fake
looking blue-green needle. On balance, I'm more of a fan of Chinese than
Japanese teas, although in spring I like a few pot fulls. And of course, I
go to the occasional Japanese tea place or restaurant.

Michael