Foxy Lady

Default Culantro, recao, aji, etc (Was: ..."boliche")

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message
> I'm not responding to Jill, but to the poster that commented on what
> sancocho, ajiaco, et cetera, is.
>
> That thick "soup" which contains various meats and tubers, usually
> cooked on rainy cold days, is called Ajiaco by Cubans. It is called
> sancocho by Dominicans, and I forge what PR's call it.

It's also called sancocho in PR..

> It's interesting to me, where on Earth the the PR's adopted pronouncing
> the rr like in "arroz" with a sort of throat clearing sound.

Pronunciation of the "rr" that way is indicative of being raised or living
"en el campo" (the areas of PR that are rural) or of being lesser educated
(whether city folk or from el campo)... you are considered a "jibaro" (a PR
hillbilly) because of it.

Another example is Colombia, who's "costenos" speak spanish that is full
> Z'a, while the rest speak it with much fidelity to the Spanish. Matter
> of fact, I think that the only Latin Americans that speak very good
> Spanish are the Colombians. The rest (Cubans, PR's Domincians, et
> cetera, truncate words, and have plenty of colloquialism.

Tell me about it! God forbid you should ask a Cuban for a "bolsa" (bag) or a
Dominican for some "pegao" (crispy rice scraped from the bottom of a
caldero)... you have to ask the ACuban for a "funda" because the other word
means his ... ahem... jewels!!!! and the Dominican for some "con-con"
because the other word means you're asking for sex...

Sandra