Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default pure juice, and small quantities?

I've now bottled my second year's Shiraz production, and it raises two
related questions:

First, all the sources of grape juice I've found have had the PH
balanced, and sugar added, in advance. Well, the whole point of this
exercise is that I want to try making my own wine: does anyone know of
sources for pure wine varietal grape juice I can use as a starting
point, and do my own additives from the get-go? I'd rather not start
with Welch's if I can avoid it....

Second, it seems like everything on the grape side of hobby winemaking
is based on a 6 gallon batch, from the size of the fermenter to the size
of the carboy to (most importantly) the amount of juice in a kit. Well,
for me that's likely to be close to a year's red wine consumption!
Since I'd like to do a lot more experimentation with the recipe (that's
how the two questions are related), I'd also like to make batches more
like a gallon at a time, so I can be trying things every month or so
(yes, I do realize this means I'll have at least half a dozen
experiments aging at the same time). Over on the fruit wine side, from
what I've read it seems like gallon batches are the norm. Is there a
reason for bigger grape wine batches?
--
It's time to try defying gravity