Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> With filet mignon? You're obviously kidding. My suggestion was a change
>>> to the original recipe suggested by Christine.
>>> http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44458

>> No he is not kidding. Wine marinated prime rib roast is a pretty damn
>> good dish. Just because Escoffier didn't come up with the idea does not
>> make it bad.
>>
>> Kent, you seem like quite a dilettante to me. You have committed a
>> couple of French cookbooks from 1900 to memory and now you profess to
>> know all. And you scoff at anything not on those blessed pages. Do you
>> actually cook? I suspect not.
>>
>> Dilettante.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Paul, I, and my wife, have cooked a lot, for many years. Now that I'm
> retired that occupies most of the day for both of us.
> I have an idea for a Chateaubriand like yours that I'm going to try.
>
> Brown it in a roasting pan over high heat. Remove from heat and rest it.
> Thoroughly deglaze the pan with wine. Pour that off and save for sauce as
> has been discussed in chef Eric Ripert's recipe. Then put browned meat
> into a one gallon double ziploc bag with very small amount of the
> deglazing liquid. Suck all the air out of the ziploc bag and seal. The
> polyethylene should firmly cover the meat and liquid. There should be no
> air. Then the bagged meat goes into a water bath at about 150F, and sits
> there until the meat temp is about 130F. I'm going to use a ceramic
> crockpot on warm, which hits about 150F. This all should give you a good
> char, with edge to edge rare meat, with muscle breakdown because of the
> slow cooking.
>
> As you probably well know this is the rage in restaurants these days, and
> is called sous vide, or "under vacuum". By doing the above, a lot of money
> is saved on equipment you're only going to periodically use. I had a good
> talk today with an engineering person at the Johnson Co., makers of
> Ziploc. They say ziploc will tolerate safely this type of cooking without
> breakdown of the polyethylene, as long as you don't cook above 235F, where
> it breaks down. Even when and if it breaks down, it doesn't create a
> health hazard, only overcooked dry meat.
>
> To answer your cooking question, we've always been very interested in food
> and have cooked in earnest for many years. I have several times bought
> 100lb of veal and beef trimmings to make brown stock, then reduced it to
> espagnole, and to demiglace.
>
> That alone, obviously, doesn't make you a "chef". However we've traveled
> and dined throughout France, the rest of Europe. and Asia. We've managed
> to dine in about 15 Michelin 3 star restaurants. At that time all Michelin
> Restaurants were in France, save for one in Belgium. When you get home, we
> have somewhat naively tried to duplicate what we ate overseas. We have
> about 300 cookbooks to read while trying to get to sleep and in the
> [...]

That's all good. But Escoffier et al were not the *last* word on French
cooking, just one of the originals. Just because a recipe or a procedure is
not enshrined in one of their tomes does not mean it is not "French." And
things do change over the centuries, like techniques for sauces.

It's all good.

Paul