Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> Your "I might try this myself" comment above suggests you haven't tried
>>> to make a beurre blanc sauce, or at least have limited experience with
>>> it. Look carefully at "Mastering the Art..Vol 1" If you can make it
>>> successfully it only lasts for that single dish. Any leftover falls
>>> apart and is a waste.
>>>
>>> If you do it with a sauteed tenderloin it's an absolute waste to not
>>> deglaze the pan with either white or red wine, separate it from its fat
>>> and proceed from there. To do so leaves the flavor behind. Tri-tip beef
>>> is too crude, and its "beefy" taste really doesn't fit with the delicacy
>>> of a beurre blanc sauce.
>>>
>>> Finally, as we're both in the pre-geezer phase of life neither of us
>>> need straight butter. It goes right to help the plaques developing on
>>> your coronary arteries

>> Kent, I rarely take sides. However I am beginning to think you are kind
>> of crazy and at very least you have extremely poor reading comprehension.
>> She never advocated a beurre blanc for beef. You seem to have read it,
>> somehow, though. How can anyone have a conversation with somebody who is
>> incapable of even sticking to what the other side *writes* in their
>> posts?
>>
>> Yes, lay of the butter. It is rotting your brain.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> All of this is about definitions. For most, I think, beurre blanc is an
> emulsion . That's a small amount of reduced liquid combined with cold bits
> of butter to form a sauce.. That bit of liquid can be anything you want on
> top of the meat made into a butter sauce, including white wine, red wine,
> stock, and whatever.

No. You don't understand the roll that acid plays in changing the proteins
in the butter. Alton Brown showed how acid allows the emulsifying agents to
become more incorporated with fat yeilding a more silky texture. Without
the acid you'd never have the texture you desire. It would be more grainy
and unincorporated. And you proved you don't know this because you
completely rejected the entire sauce recipe Christine posted simply because
it had vinegar in it. You seemed to think it would taste like a
vinaigrette. That recipe was a pretty classic beurre blanc sauce made with
red wine and red wine vinegar.

> There is no widely accepted specific name for the beurre blanc when the
> liquid happens to be red wine. When the emulsion is created from steak pan
> drippings and white wine, it's called Steak Bercy. When red wine is used
> to reduce it's called Marchand de Vins. These are subcategories of beurre
> blanc, or white butter sauce.

There really is. Maybe it is more modern than 1920 but there is a
definition.

Paul