Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>

>>> Paul, I'd suggest browning the meat in the roasting pan on top of the
>>> stove to give it a good surface char, and then placing it in the oven at
>>> a lower

>> One could also marinate the meat for 24 - 48 hours in either Madeira,
>> marsalla, port or even a good red burgundy, then, after browning on top
>> of the stove place in a pot just big enough to hold it and just cover
>> with the marinating wine and any extra stock or water necessary to just
>> cover the meat and braise it till done, replenishing liquid as necessary.
>> Braising on a bed of veggies (carrots, onions, celery etc.) is a good
>> addition and then filter the braising liquid, defat and serve au jus or
>> add a thickening agent such as a burrre manie
>> --
>> JL
>>

> With filet mignon? You're obviously kidding. My suggestion was a change to
> the original recipe suggested by Christine.
> http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44458

No he is not kidding. Wine marinated prime rib roast is a pretty damn good
dish. Just because Escoffier didn't come up with the idea does not make it
bad.

Kent, you seem like quite a dilettante to me. You have committed a couple
of French cookbooks from 1900 to memory and now you profess to know all.
And you scoff at anything not on those blessed pages. Do you actually cook?
I suspect not.

Dilettante.

Paul