Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:57:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The acid and the butter would make an emulsion that is very silky. Kent
>>>is
>>>thinking of an espagnole sauce which is one of the 5 mother sauces. When
>>>was experimenting with French cooking I used that sauce as a base for
>>>roast
>>>beef dishes. It's what Julia did, too.

>> Julia details in her book, My Life in France, how she discovered
>> Beurre Blanc and how she finally mastered it. I think it is in one of
>> the volumes of Mastering, that recipe.
>>
>> Essentially, this is a Beurre Rouge. I read up a bit on it, and the
>> cold butter is to keep the sauce from breaking.
>>
>> And you are right, it is very, very silky. A classic butter emulsion
>> sauce, this time made with red wine.
>>
>> I might try this myself sometime soon. I do have a tritip in the
>> freezer...maybe I will pull that out and make this sauce to go along
>> with it. Don't have a tenderloin right now, but it should still be
>> good with the tritip.
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>>

> Your "I might try this myself" comment above suggests you haven't tried to
> make a beurre blanc sauce, or at least have limited experience with it.
> Look carefully at "Mastering the Art..Vol 1" If you can make it
> successfully it only lasts for that single dish. Any leftover falls apart
> and is a waste.
>
> If you do it with a sauteed tenderloin it's an absolute waste to not
> deglaze the pan with either white or red wine, separate it from its fat
> and proceed from there. To do so leaves the flavor behind. Tri-tip beef is
> too crude, and its "beefy" taste really doesn't fit with the delicacy of a
> beurre blanc sauce.
>
> Finally, as we're both in the pre-geezer phase of life neither of us need
> straight butter. It goes right to help the plaques developing on your
> coronary arteries

Kent, I rarely take sides. However I am beginning to think you are kind of
crazy and at very least you have extremely poor reading comprehension. She
never advocated a beurre blanc for beef. You seem to have read it, somehow,
though. How can anyone have a conversation with somebody who is incapable
of even sticking to what the other side *writes* in their posts?

Yes, lay of the butter. It is rotting your brain.

Paul