Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

"Mort" > wrote in message
> M. JL Esq. wrote:
>> Mort wrote:

>> Page 33 of Le guide Culinaire?
>>
>> Red Colouring Butter
>>
>> "Remove any of the remaining flesh and particles from the outside and
>> inside of any shellfish shells; dry the shells in a slow oven then pound
>> them until fine.
>>
>> Add and mix in an equal quantity of butter, place this mixture in a bain
>> marie pot and allow it to melt stirring frequently. Pass through a
>> muslin held over a basin of ice cold water and when solidified place the
>> resultant butter in a cloth and squeeze to remove the water.
>>
>> Note: if shellfish carcasses are not available to prepare this butter,
>> paprika butter can be used instead. In any event, it is inadvisable to
>> use artificial colourings fo the final colouring of sauces."
>>
>> I don't understand where the water came from to squeeze out but other
>> wise it seems easy enough.
>> --
>> JL

> That's not a Beurre-Rouge. Certainly not as it's known today. When you
> order a Beurre-Rouge in France (or anywhere) you'll be served a red wine
> reduction emulsified with butter.
>
> How to Make Beurre Rouge
> http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Mak...ouge-215137906
>
> Let me ask you Escoffier worshipers a question. Where do you go to find
> recipes (and definitions) that were developed after that fine work was
> published in the year 1907 ? Or are you under the impression the entire
> culinary world came to a stop a hundred years ago?
>
> Mort

That's definition has remained unchanged to this day in classical French
cooking. That's how it's defined in my 1978 edition of the Larrouse.

Show us a respected French source that indicates beurre rouge as a red
rather than white butter sauce. What's on the internet written by non
credentialed sources doesn't mean anything.

Kent