Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mort Mort is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

M. JL Esq. wrote:
> Mort wrote:

>>> I saw both of those and don't agree with either. You have to find a
>>> valid
>>> source from France that substantiates what Christine is saying. I can't.
>>> I've looked at Raymond Oliver, Henri-Paul Pelliprat, Elizabeth David,
>>> two
>>> editions of the Larrouse, and I haven't found anything that ties
>>> "rouge" to
>>> red wine. I'm holding Escoffier in my hand as I write this.

> Page 33 of Le guide Culinaire?
>
> Red Colouring Butter
>
> "Remove any of the remaining flesh and particles from the outside and
> inside of any shellfish shells; dry the shells in a slow oven then pound
> them until fine.
>
> Add and mix in an equal quantity of butter, place this mixture in a bain
> marie pot and allow it to melt stirring frequently. Pass through a
> muslin held over a basin of ice cold water and when solidified place the
> resultant butter in a cloth and squeeze to remove the water.
>
> Note: if shellfish carcasses are not available to prepare this butter,
> paprika butter can be used instead. In any event, it is inadvisable to
> use artificial colourings fo the final colouring of sauces."
>
> I don't understand where the water came from to squeeze out but other
> wise it seems easy enough.
> --
> JL

That's not a Beurre-Rouge. Certainly not as it's known today. When you
order a Beurre-Rouge in France (or anywhere) you'll be served a red wine
reduction emulsified with butter.

How to Make Beurre Rouge
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Mak...ouge-215137906

Let me ask you Escoffier worshipers a question. Where do you go to find
recipes (and definitions) that were developed after that fine work was
published in the year 1907 ? Or are you under the impression the entire
culinary world came to a stop a hundred years ago?

--
Mort