Posted to rec.food.cooking
M. JL Esq. M. JL Esq. is offline

Default Chateaubriand ideas

Mort wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Blanc-233266
>>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839
>>>

>> I saw both of those and don't agree with either. You have to find a valid
>> source from France that substantiates what Christine is saying. I can't.
>> I've looked at Raymond Oliver, Henri-Paul Pelliprat, Elizabeth David, two
>> editions of the Larrouse, and I haven't found anything that ties
>> "rouge" to
>> red wine. I'm holding Escoffier in my hand as I write this.

Page 33 of Le guide Culinaire?

Red Colouring Butter

"Remove any of the remaining flesh and particles from the outside and
inside of any shellfish shells; dry the shells in a slow oven then pound
them until fine.

Add and mix in an equal quantity of butter, place this mixture in a bain
marie pot and allow it to melt stirring frequently. Pass through a
muslin held over a basin of ice cold water and when solidified place
the resultant butter in a cloth and squeeze to remove the water.

Note: if shellfish carcasses are not available to prepare this butter,
paprika butter can be used instead. In any event, it is inadvisable to
use artificial colourings fo the final colouring of sauces."

I don't understand where the water came from to squeeze out but other
wise it seems easy enough.
--
JL