Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Instant coffee?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 17:16:25 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 3/18/2011 11:29 AM, afaqanjum28 wrote:
>> I also consider myself a coffee
>> connoisseur. For instant coffee, Tasters Choice is unmatched by the
>> rest. When you open a new jar, you can see the coffee oils on the
>> surface of a fresh cup. As I said in another thread, their decaf is
>> unmatched by anyone. As a longtime coffer geek,I also consider myself a
>> coffee connoisseur. For instant coffee, Tasters Choice is
>> unmatched by the rest. When you open a new jar, you can see
>> the coffee oils on the surface of a fresh cup. As I said in
>> another thread, their decaf is unmatched by anyone
>>

>Decaf is for the birds as far as taste is concerned; IMHO, no instant
>coffee matches decent freshly ground beans. That being said, some
>Tasters Choice varieties are not bad and they keep very well if you put
>the jar in the freezer. The granules don't stick together much since
>there is little moisture.

Taster's Choice is a freeze dried coffee, when properly prepared (with
clean fresh water) it can taste as good or better than many whole bean
coffees... many whole beans are crap, actually most... and the price
one pays has little to no bearing on coffee quality. Water quality is
the most important aspect of coffee brewing... water quality is the
most important aspect of all beverages. People who spend thousands of
dollars on all sorts of brewing paraphenalia, buy so-called
special/magic beans, roast their own, and go through all the
ceremonial rituals, it's all for nought when they haven't invested in
quality water. The thing about Taster's choice that I find
disappointing is that it's much too consistant, it's boring...
Taster's choice is the iceberg lettuce of coffees.