Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Separating coffee filters

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:20 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:05:17 +0000 (UTC),

>>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>>Not necessarily. A hotel room usually has either a microwave or
>>>some sort of inferior coffeemaker that can nonetheless heat water.
>>>If not, one can travel with an immersion heater.
>>>
>>>It is also possible to cold-brew coffee very successfully.

>>Your alternatives are far more complicated and unworkable for a
>>traveler than the original poster's idea of a cheap drip machine,
>>sufficient to provide 10 cups' worth at each use during the stay, then
>>abandoned at the hotel.

>Not in my opinion.

No shit, Sherlock. But as a frequent traveler, I can tell you that
making an equivalent of 10 cups of coffee's water with a immersion
heater or the usually ill-washed mini coffeepot in the room, or
bringing along a vessel to heat water in a micro, then schlep all the
pieces need to make drip (don't hassle me, I assure you that I have
more Chemex coffee makers than you can shake a stick at. I collect all
sorts of coffee pots) is a royal pain in the ass. So is paying an
outrageous sum for sub-par coffee on the road.

>>There is no reason to think that the abandoned drip machine will be
>>invariably trashed, rather than re-used, either.

>Hotel staff usually puts in the trash anything left in the room unless it
>is of immense value.

You will provide a citation to prove that assumption, won't you?
That's a nice boy....'cause the guy with the MS in hospitality
management studies I just spoke with said that there is no standard
procedure one way or the other unless specifically established by
corporate or franchisee or anyone else who is managing. Net net...good
stuff rarely gets tossed. It may get swiped or stored awhile or
donated or taken home by someone, but rarely tossed.

>>If you're really worrying about carbon footprint, best that all
>>travelers who aren't hoofing it, stay home.

>This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
>they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
>To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
>IMO.

And the reason why such BS conservation attitudes as you took do not
work, is that your poorly thought through alternative is SO much a
bother, SO much an idiotic idea, that anyone with a brain can pick the
battles wisely and conserve along some other lines.

Really, I am a damn Green Queen, but I am not an idiot. It is a topic
I have studied well and wisely and approach in an intelligent,
researched manner with deliberate choices and actions. I don't toss
off blanket, poorly thought out foolishness and declare it logical
and the One True Path.

You are one dumb mother****er. Get back to me when you start shitting
in your catbox.

Boron