Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Separating coffee filters

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:05:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>J. Clarke > wrote:
>
>>> Could be, I just have a strong barrier to discarding manufactured things
>>> that are capable of more permanent use. I do know some allowances
>>> must be made when traveling, but I am pretty much satisfied with traveling
>>> with a filter cone and filters and not throwing away an entire coffeemaker.
>>> Last I checked society was having major issues disposing of plastic-based
>>> trash.

>>The trouble with filter cone and filters is that now you have go out and
>>buy a stove and a kettle.

>Not necessarily. A hotel room usually has either a microwave or
>some sort of inferior coffeemaker that can nonetheless heat water.
>If not, one can travel with an immersion heater.
>
>It is also possible to cold-brew coffee very successfully.
>

>Steve

Your alternatives are far more complicated and unworkable for a
traveler than the original poster's idea of a cheap drip machine,
sufficient to provide 10 cups' worth at each use during the stay, then
abandoned at the hotel.

There is no reason to think that the abandoned drip machine will be
invariably trashed, rather than re-used, either.

If you're really worrying about carbon footprint, best that all
travelers who aren't hoofing it, stay home.

Boron