Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default What do you consider the best recipe software for Windows?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:39:55 -0400, Landon > wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:29:42 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:50:34 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>>
>>> I knew how to file, I knew what sort of categories I would use to
>>> sort recipes.

>>I don't know about you, but I organized my categories as they appear.
>>If it looks like I'm accumulating a bunch of recipes that are similar,
>>I make folders or subfolders... let's say if they have a main
>>ingredient of sweet potato, I'll make a sub folder under potato and
>>call it sweet potato.

>If the literal size of the data files is small enough in totality,
>then the search of the data would be quick anyway. If it was a lot of
>data, it would slow it down radically if there was repeat data in the
>same database. It's a cardinal rule of databases to <never> store more
>than one copy of each unique record.
>
>You reference the data from the other categories. That's why a
>database like MasterCook is so handy. For what it does, it's fast as
>all get out.
>
>I imagine MasterCook has some way of identifying recipes that fit in
>multiple categories. A simple check mark or radio button tells it to
>always show that recipe when each of the checked boxes are present.
>
>Sorry, I'm a database guy...don't get me started.

When you file the recipe you select the category or categories for it.
You can search for the recipe by name or category. You can add your
own categories if you want to.

You can create shopping lists and menus. You can put in a whole day's
worth of menus and check the nutrition for the day. You can print an
alphabetized list or a list by category.
--
Susan N.