Cameron Lewis

Default Pu-erh steeping

Lewis Perin > wrote in message >...
> Michael Plant > writes:
>
> > [...]
> > Puerh is essentially a high temperature tea. "Green Puerh can -- perhaps
> > should -- be brewed lower. Lew? Help us out here?

> Yes, I brew green Puerh around 175F. Mike Petro, though, seemed to
> imply recently that he brews it even lower: 160F.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I find that different green puers like different temperature water. A
XiaGuan tuocha that I have releases a pleasant floral/herbal sweetness
at around 160 but gets a bit edgy and loses sweetness at 170 and
above. By contrast, two different Meng Hai beencha that I have brew
much better in the 170-185 range. My working theory right now is that
puer with bigger leaves and a smoky aroma takes higher temps than more
mild smelling types.

Cameron