Posted to rec.food.cooking
Catmandy (Sheryl) Catmandy (Sheryl) is offline

Default Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

On Mar 10, 12:58*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:14:45 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>

> >On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:

> >>You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. *Never heard of
> >>it before, never thought it would have a place.

> >Goomba and I do. * * I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
> >layer. * *I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
> >richer.

> I think that would be absolutely disgusting. *Were I asked how to
> include eggs in lasagna I'd have to say to use egg noodles, and even
> that would be TIAD.

She didn't phrase the question correctly.
The question is whether one uses beaten egg in their ricotta mixture
when they make lasagna.

I never made lasagna until I was in college. I worked in one of the
offices on campus and I asked two motherly types how to make lasagna.
Both were of Italian heritage. One told me to mix the ricotta with a
beaten egg, it helps to bind the shredded cheeses together with the
ricotta. One told me she didn't bother with that step.

Over the years, I have made it both ways. It will "work" either way.
It just depends on what you like.
I have to say that I prefer the texture of the lasagna with the beaten
egg mixed into the ricotta. It makes the ricotta layer more of a
"layer", less like blobs of cheese randomly placed between the pasta
and sauce.

But obviously if you can't eat eggs, just leave it out. There texture
will be different, but the lasagna will certainly work. The quality of
the cheeses you use is more important than whether you add a beaten
egg to the mixture. and the quality of the sauce, of course, too.