Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default what is the difference between

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:26:09 -0500, "dejablues"
> wrote:

>"Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Pete C. wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>>>
>>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>>
>>> Whole
>>> Stewed
>>> Crushed
>>> Pureed
>>> Sauce
>>>
>>> From least to most processed.

>> tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
>> Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
>> they are.

>Tomato sauce is cooked.

When you make it at home, but the canned tomato sauce you buy is not
cooked, it's minimally heated. Most all canned/bottled tomato
products are made from tomato concentrate (paste). Commercial tomato
paste is not cooked, it's minimally heated to ensure food safety
during sealing. Tomato paste is made by extracting water under
vacuum... there are web sites that explain the process and how
expensive the machinery. But many food products have their water
removed to save the high cost of transporting, um water. It costs
much less to transport tomato paste and then reconstitute it at the
local distribution centers. Many of those huge sleek refrigerated
stainless steel tanks one sees traveling the interstates/RRs are
filled with tomato paste on their way to local canneries/bottlers.

There are web sites with more detailed explanation of this old topic
that has been discussed here often over many years but I don't have
time today to research once again:
http://www.tomatomachinery.com/1_tomato_mango.html