Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default what is the difference between

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:47:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Nad R > wrote:
>> Steve Pope > wrote:

>>> There's also diced in additioned to strained.
>>>
>>> http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Straine...u=024321424208
>>>
>>> I do not think they're significantly different from pureed.
>>>

>>> Steve

>> Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
>> gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
>> seeds and pulp in them.

>A CORRECTION on my part. Seeds and Skins removed... Not pulp.

The seeds and skins are removed from pureed, sauce, most crushed, and
paste... in the US they just don't call it "strained"... and in fact
they're not actually strained, seeds and skins are removed with those
cone type food mills, only far larger in commercial operations.