Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default OT. Cost of prescription tablets in the US. Need some assistance.

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:31:51 -0800, "Kent" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A pharmacy cannot
> > > accept a prescription unless it was written by someone licensed that that
> > > state.

> > I didn't know that!

> Neither do the state legislatures in the states where I checked the
> statutes.
>
> Maine: Out of state prescriptions specifically allowed provide the
> pharmacist calls the prescribing physician.
>
> Arkansas: No specific statements concerning where the practitioner must
> be licensed.
>
> California: Schedule III, IV, and V controlled substance out of state
> prescriptions are explicitly allowed, Schedule II the rules are too
> complicated for me to be willing to wade through for an Internet post.
>
> New York: Out of state prescription explicitly allowed.
>
> I can find no reliable information that _any_ state has such a
> prohibition in force.
>
> In most states though pharmacists have broad discretion and most require
> that the prescription contain specific information--if it's not all
> there then the pharmacist won't fill the prescription and many get
> sticky about Schedule II.
>
> > > However, it appears that the feds and some states have changed that,
> > > I'm sure, because of the internet.

> > Whew.

When my overseas relatives used to come visit us in the US, they were
able to get a *small* supply of their Rx meds if they ran out. They
always had the original packaging and a copy of the original Rx.
Basically enough of the meds to get them home again. Can't comment on
the legality but the pharmacists were generally helpful.