Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Ping: Dave Smith oven repair

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>"Dan Abel" > wrote
>>
>> 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. After somebody pays US$60 for a
>> new lightbulb, it's easy to say that there's a cheaper way. But if the
>> magnetron in her stove went out, the compressor in her fridge and the
>> guts in her AC all died and she got all three fixed for US$60, you'd be
>> singing a different tune.

>But if you put the money you'd spend on service policies and extended
>warranties aside, you'd have plenty of money to pay for service calls or
>replacements items. Very few people come out ahead and the premiums pay for
>the administration, salaries, profit for the service company.
>
>Same with some auto dealer services that are not needed. My dealer
>recommends fuel injection service every year for $120. That would be $240
>for my two cars. I've driven fuel injected cars for at least 25 years and
>have never had an injector problem.

You just got lucky. My 95 Taurus had an injector problem. . . at
130,000miles. Cost nearly $200 to replace them all.<g>
[I've never paid for injector service on any cars, either]

>That puts me ahead $6000 over that
>time period. If, by chance, I need a $250 repair I'll still be $5750 ahead.
>Better in my pocket than a car dealer.
>
>I also change oil at 7500 miles, not the 3000 often wrongly touted as proper
>interval.

30 years ago I was a 3K changer. Oil & engines are better now. And
they have a computer monitoring driving habits and engine condition. I
let the car tell me when it needs a change. [usually in the 6-8k
range]

On home appliances-- by the time they need a repair, I'm probably
ready for an update/upgrade anyway. [though I'll fix it myself if it
looks cheap and easy]

But- some folks sleep better if they pay for a warranty.

Jim