Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Dave Smith oven repair

"Dan Abel" > wrote

> 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. After somebody pays US$60 for a
> new lightbulb, it's easy to say that there's a cheaper way. But if the
> magnetron in her stove went out, the compressor in her fridge and the
> guts in her AC all died and she got all three fixed for US$60, you'd be
> singing a different tune.

But if you put the money you'd spend on service policies and extended
warranties aside, you'd have plenty of money to pay for service calls or
replacements items. Very few people come out ahead and the premiums pay for
the administration, salaries, profit for the service company.

Same with some auto dealer services that are not needed. My dealer
recommends fuel injection service every year for $120. That would be $240
for my two cars. I've driven fuel injected cars for at least 25 years and
have never had an injector problem. That puts me ahead $6000 over that
time period. If, by chance, I need a $250 repair I'll still be $5750 ahead.
Better in my pocket than a car dealer.

I also change oil at 7500 miles, not the 3000 often wrongly touted as proper
interval.