Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Dinner tonight....Shepherd's Pie

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:31:24 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:46:47 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > In article >,

says...

> > > They sound like they might be, I have just never encountered one that I
> > > know of... Of course after 50 years of enjoying them I also find I have
> > > never had a Shepherds Pie either

> > Better get crackin' then. You're not getting any younger!

> All right then, want to crack me up a quick recipe? Nothing fancy
> please, I am just getting over being sick so something not too rich if
> possible?

Shepherd's pie or souffle? I usually make spinach souffle, light on
the cheese. A souffle is just a medium béchamel with egg yolks and
other stuff stirred in. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry and
fold that in. Done. Butter and bread crumb a souffle dish. Dump it
in and bake. If you don't own a souffle dish use as deep a casserole
as you have - all that depth is for showmanship.

This recipe looks easy enough.
http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitche...pinach-souffle

A shepherd's pie is cooked meat, mixed vegetables (Trader Joe's has
one that includes green beans in the freezer section) and some gravy.
Mix it up and dump it in individual baking dishes or one big dish.
Top with mashed potatoes and bake until the potatoes have browned.

This one looks more complicated than it really is. Use those TJ's
frozen mixed veggies to save some time but don't mess with the potato
topping - it's fantastic.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html