Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight....Shepherd's Pie

On 25/02/2011 4:46 PM, I_am_Tosk wrote:
> In g.com>,
> says...

>>> Hummm, I am somewhat rural I know, but I don't even know any Americans
>>> the "eat" souffle

>> I am rural too, though not American. I not only eat souffle, About once
>> a year I make one. They are not as tricky or complicated to make as most
>> people think, and they are delicious.

> They sound like they might be, I have just never encountered one that I
> know of..

You should try one some time, or try making one. The recipes can be
intimidating because the recipes go through so many steps. Break it down
into a cooking style and it becomes easier. Basically, start with a
white sauce and add the flavouring. Separate the eggs and add the yolks
to the white sauce and beat the whites. Then fold the beaten whites into
the sauce/yolk.

.. Of course after 50 years of enjoying them I also find I have
> never had a Shepherds Pie either

It was almost a weekly dish in my family. It's a pretty simple dish to
prepare. My mother used leftover roast beef that she put through a
grinder. She would add the leftover gravy, corn and peas, maybe some
carrots, and top with mashed potatoes, which could also be left over.

When my wife made it the other day she fried up some ground lamb with
some onion and garlic, added some chopped carrots, tossed in a bit of
flour and broth to make some sauce, topped with mashed potatoes. It was
delicious.