Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Dave Smith oven repair

On 25/02/2011 3:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> It's really a matter of attitude and tools. If the oven element is
>> visible in the oven, it should come out with two screws--it's really
>> hard to mess up the repair unless you manage to break a wire.

> Well that can indeed occur. When I have a repair policy I don't
> attempt any repairs myself, if something breaks it voids the policy...
> it's just too easy to strip a thread on sheetmetal.
>
> But what really perplexes me is that when someone calls for a repair
> of say a stove oven with an element that won't heat that the repair
> facility didn't ask which model stove... I've never heard of anything
> so ridculously unbeliveable... I've phoned to have appliances repaired
> and the very first question, even before your name, is what model and
> serial number...

I am hoping that Jill is re-evaluating her appliance repair insurance. I
have no idea how much she is paying for the policy, but she pays $60 for
a service call. She has been without a oven for what.... three weeks
now? It took a week for the serviceman to come and then another week or
so for the part and it will be more than a week before the guy can
return. Any time I have called a repairman the guy has been at my house
before the end of the day and the problem was fixed. Elements are so
highly specialized that a dealer or repair depot should not be expected
to carry a suitable one in stock.

Look at my situation on the weekend. The element blew around noon. It
was replaced and repaired within two hours, and most of that time was
spent making and eating brunch.

the service tech would never arrive without knowing