Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Ping: Dave Smith oven repair

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:06:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 23/02/2011 6:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Funny thing happened! I discovered a box by my front door this
>> afternoon. Turns out the element the Sears technician ordered for my
>> oven was shipped to me directly! How about you email me and talk me
>> through it? Maybe I can install it myself and save the service fee. And
>> he wasn't *completely* convinced it needs a new thermostat, just said
>> maybe and thought it would be better to go ahead and replace it. But, if
>> I can fix this myself that would be ideal.
>>

>It's a piece of cake, and probably the only tool you will need is a
>Phillips screw driver.
>

>Pull the unit out and disconnect the power cord.
>Open the door, or remove it completely to make it easier to get in
>there. Just open the door part way and slide it up on the bracket.
>
>There are two brackets where the element is mounted into the back wall.
>|There will be one or two screws in each. Remove them and the element
>should slide right out.
>
>There will be a wire attached to each end of the element. They will be
>attached either with a slip on connector or with a screw. Remove the old
>element, attach the new one, screw the bracket into place, put the door
>on, plug the oven in, push it back into place and sit back and count the
>money you just saved for five minutes work.

Instead of pulling the stove out, throw the breaker or remove the
fuse. I don't believe that there is any need to get to the back of
stove. Then check by trying to turn on a burner. Or check the oven
light if it normally works.

Then take the new element and look at it carefully and make sure it
looks just like the old one. Maybe set it on top of the old one to
make sure it fits. Thermostat may be a bit trickier.

No, I haven't done it myself, but watched as my husband replaced one
in our stove.

Don't lose the screws.
--
Susan N.