Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Dave Smith oven repair

On 24/02/2011 7:31 AM, lid wrote:

>> It's not new, the oven came with the house which was built in 1987. And
>> yes, I know to shut the power off at the breaker box. That's what the
>> technician did when he came out to diagnose the problem. I just wasn't
>> expecting the element he ordered to be shipped directly to me. I figured
>> they'd send it to the repair shop and he'd bring it with him when he arrived
>> for the appointment on March 8th. If I can install it myself I'll save
>> another service charge.
>>
>> Jill

> I would expect the cost of the installation trip is included in the
> total bill. If you damage the element or it does not fix the problem,
> you will probably be out more $.

I would not count on the second trip being free when dealing with repair
service that takes a week to get out to see the oven and then another
week to get the part. I would have expected that a repairman coming out
to fix and oven with a likely burned out element would show up with a
supply of elements. There aren't that many sizes and shapes to deal with.

How would you expect her to damage the element. Short of dropping it
onto a hard floor from great height, or slamming it in a door, it would
be hard to damage an oven element.