Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
tepe tepe is offline

Default Fruit Wine

On Feb 22, 9:18*am, "Tom Kunich" > wrote:
> "tepe" > wrote in message

> > On Feb 21, 9:55 pm, "Tom Kunich" > wrote:
> > > What fruits have you used to make wine with and how did it turn out?

> > > I don't think my Orange wines are going to turn out very well and in one
> > > book I read they sort of hinted that it is difficult to make good Orange
> > > wine.

> > > So what does work well?

> > Lets see;
> > Apple
> > Strawberry
> > Blueberry
> > Pear
> > Peach
> > Pineapple
> > Apple Kiwi
> > Strawberry Kiwi
> > Apple Pear Passion Fruit
> > Kiwi

> Do you have a recipe for blueberry wine? Seems to me that stuff would be
> essentially a very good wine since the fruit is very grape-like.- Hide quoted text -

1st I do NOT like Jacks recipes. They are high in alcohol and VERY LOW
in fruit. Fruit wines should start no higher than 1.085 his are much
higher masking the fruit flavor.
As a rule I use 6#'s per gallon, Strawberries7-8#'s per gallon
Freeze fruit for a week. This will help break down the cell walls.
Put fruit in a straining bag
Note; if making 6 gallons you will need 2 fermenting buckets
Add water to level you want to make.
take some of that and heat up to dissolve sugar and bring to
1.080-1.085. Do this (adding sugar) before adding yeast and AFTER 24
hours on Pectic Enzyme. The PE will be extracting sugars from the
fruit.
(I like this caculator) http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/winecalc.html
to figure how much sugar.
Add Pectic Enzyme once fruit is thawed
Wait 24 hours before adding yeast (I like Cote des Blancs)
Once dry stabilize and add f-pac.
back sweeten to your taste.
This usually takes 6+ months to bottle.