Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default A Buffet idea

On 2/20/2011 10:07 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:01:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> mochiko

>> I have to say that JL has sung the praises of rice flour, but I wasn't
>> thinking of Mochiko because everything I have with it is sweet. I
>> busted open a box of it to use to dredge cube steaks and make gravy...
>> OMG! It's the perfect substitute for people who are gluten
>> intolerant. I have a coconut cake recipe that uses rice flour I want
>> to make now. I think I'll use more coconuts and no extract, but
>> here's the recipe.
>>
>> Coconut Cake gluten free
>> Baked Chinese New Year Cake
>> http://www.chow.com/recipes/28077-ba...-new-year-cake
>> Adapted from Louisa Yue
>> 12 servings
>>
>> TIME/SERVINGS
>> Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins | Active Time: 10 mins
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
>> 4 large eggs
>> 1 pound sweet rice flour (about 3 cups)
>> 3 cups whole milk
>> 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
>> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for coating the
>> baking dish
>> 1 teaspoon coconut extract
>> 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a
>> 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
>>
>> Place the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until
>> toasted and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes; set aside.
>> Place the eggs in a large bowl and lightly beat to break up the yolks.
>> Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
>> Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes.
>> Sprinkle with the toasted coconut, rotate the dish, and bake until the
>> edges are just starting to brown and the top is just set (a bubble may
>> form, but it will flatten as the cake cools), about 20 to 25 minutes
>> more.
>> Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Wrap
>> leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
>>

> That looks interesting--as long as one can find natural extract. I have
> an Asian red bean cake recipe that I keep eying, but it contains 1 can
> of red beans (the sweet kind, as in from Japan), but I have no idea what
> size can this is.

Not sure why folks need to omit the size of the can when writing
recipes. It is likely 475 grams (a little over a pound) if it is the
typical adzuki bean paste.

I make taiyaki and also Korean red bean filled pancakes. Sometimes I
make the filling myself and sometimes just open a can. It is super easy
to make: (I prefer the "chunky" version)

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/jap...ed-bean-paste/