Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default A Buffet idea

On Feb 16, 3:29*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message

> On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Damaeus > wrote:
>

> > In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> > (PST) the following:

> > > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus >
> > > wrote:

> > > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> > I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

> I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost
> item, and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for
> something one could make much, much more cheaply at home.
>
> But if you think about it... *Most of what you get at a buffet could be made
> more cheaply at home. *The problem is all the cooking you would have to do
> to get all that variety. *And all the leftovers.

But the food cost of a potato, vs that of the baked pollock that is
ubiquitous at AYCE buffets is not insignificant.
Same for fried chicken, some salad bar offerings (such as tomatoes),
sausage and bacon (during breakfast hours), and several other things.
I have eaten huge amounts at AYCE buffets, and for a certain period of
life I ate one meal a day, the rest of the day being devoted to
drinking coffee, beer and soda. I did that several weekdays, every
week. They should have had a refuse service poster of me behind the
register.

--Bryan