Debbie Deutsch

Default Assam Super Red Dust(SRD)

(Ripon) wrote in
om:

>> The thought of bagels in Bangladesh is very strange to me - I don't
>> think of Bangladesh as a place where high risen oven-baked breads (as
>> opposed to griddle-baked flat breads) made of white wheat dough are
>> common, or as a place where there is a significant Jewish community.
>> Maybe you got bagels from Bangladeshis who were exposed to them in
>> the US, in which case your bagels are probably more like new American
>> bagels than the ones of my childhood. Or maybe they are yet another
>> generation of mutation, and come in flavors like garam masala, jeera,
>> and hing (warm-flavored mixed spices, cumin, and asfoetida for folks
>> who don't know what those are), just as those flavors are added to
>> pappadams. Actually, hing bagels would be a lot like onion bagels
>> and might be pretty good...
>>
>> Debbie

> Strange.. why is that. All kinds of bread are available here from
> french to bagles. Bangladesh is a fast growing economy that means many
> foreign investors live here. When a foreign company come, with the
> company there local food chain also follow. We have many different
> foods here from Japanese(East) to American(West). The city is very
> multicultural. The people who opened the bagles shop, actually is a
> french frenchise. Here we even have big super market like American
> Giant or Fresh-field. All sorts of foreign food are there from frozen
> to fresh Australian vegatables and fruits. From world famous Pizza Hut
> to Swiss famous ice cream shop Move-in-pick.
>
> Derek and DMH Starbucks is opening next year. So this year be
> astonised but next year- please don't LOL.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

Ripon,

Just as everyday Americans don't go shopping at the Bangladeshi (and
Indian and Pakastani) groceries here, I didn't expect that Bangladeshi's
would do significant amount of shopping at foreign groceries either.
Even the most cosmopolitain people usually stick to what they grew up
with for everyday food, at least in my experience. Foreign food is a
nice exception, but not staple fare. At least that's the case among
people who I know.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if