Rick Chappell

Default water temperature and green tea

Robert Dunbar > wrote:
> The folks at Tea-n-Crumpets suggested an easy way to get water temperature
> for steeping green tea just right: use one part water at room temperature
> and three parts boiling water.
> This works for me and makes a good cup of green tea.

Okay, call in the mathematicians. First, assuming that you let the water
run a bit to get some water fresh from the pipe (or that you just did let
it run to fill up the kettle which is now boiling), the water might be a bit
cooler than room temperature. At least in Wisconsin, unless the room is a
cistern.

If tap water is 50 degrees, which is realistic where I sit watching the snow
out of my window, then 3:1 gives you about 170 degree water. 4:1 gives you
180. Does the difference matter?

Attempting to avoid work (by looking out the window at snow and/or posting),

Rick.