Michael Plant

Default water temperature and green tea

Babba Rom /25/03

>> I bring the water up to just over the desired temperature and then
>> pour. I do not bring the water to a boil and let it cool. Why? Habit,
>> and the mythological oxygen depletion theory, I guess.

> I'm sure this has been covered before, but what do you use to heat the
> water? I just have an old kettle on an electric stove so I can't know it's
> doing anything but boiling then have to wait for the temp to come back
> down. Please tell me a better way.

I stick a metal stick-thermometer into the kettle spout. Conversely -- and
more and more lately -- I listen for the changing tone of the heating water.
If you always use the same kettle, and always fill it to the same point, and
always use the same amount of heat, you will actually hear changing tones.
Or maybe this is just idiosyncratic to my kettle. But, anyway, that's my
answer. (The thermometer has a wheel face at the top.)

BTW, regarding us having covered the topic before worry not: Redundant is
our middle name.

Michael