Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Onion Bread using food processor to mix the dough

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 10:17:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Onion Bread
>
>Recipe By: Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 2-9-2011
>
>Serving Size: 1 loaf
>
>1/4 cup warm water
>1 teaspoon yeast
>1/2 teaspoon sugar
>3 cups white flour
>1/2 cup bran
>2 Tbsp. sugar
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>1/2 teaspoon celery salt
>1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
>3 Tbsp. shortening (bacon or chicken fat margarine, or
>shortening)
>3/4 cup water
>1/3 cup dry milk powder
>2 Tbsp. instant dried onions
>
>Put warm water in custard cup and add yeast and half teaspoon sugar.
>Mix and let stand 10-15 minutes. Put flour, bran, remaining sugar,
>salt, celery salt, poultry seasoning, and shortening into food processor
>bowl with the cutting blade. Mix water with dry milk powder. Add
>onions.
>
>Let processor run until fat is well mixed, keeping hand over top of feed
>tube. Keep machine running and pour yeast mixture into feed tube.
>While machine is running, pour milk in slowly. As soon as dough forms a
>ball, stop machine. This takes about 20 seconds.
>
>Remove dough from machine. At this point, you can start another batch,
>if more loaves are desired. Mix batches together, if you prepare more
>than one, by kneading 8 to 10 turns of dough. Otherwise, no kneading is
>necessary. The processor has done this.
>
>Grease dough, place in a bowl and cover. Let rise about 1-1/2 hours or
>until double in bulk. Shape dough into a ball if making just one batch
>or into whatever number needed for the batches mixed. With a rolling
>pin, roll out on lightly floured board. Roll dough up jelly-roll
>fashion into a loaf.
>
>Place in greased baking pan(s), cover and let rise until double, about
>1-1/2 hours. Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 degrees) 40-45 minutes.
>Remove from pan(s) and cool. Makes one 1-1/2 pound loaf.
>
>Notes: Source: Diana Hildreth, State Fair Competitor; 8/28/80
>Thursday Food Section, Minneapolis Tribune

Ok...I have to counter this one with an onion wild rice bread I just
made this weekend (No, I did not use the good stuff in this recipe)

Peter Reinhart's Wild Rice and Onion Bread (sort of)

8 cups bread flour (a bit more or less...KA is good)

1 cup diced onions - I use a mix of sweet, red and shallots

1/3 cup brown sugar - light or dark, as you prefer.

2 Tablespoons instant yeast - yeah, it needs this boost. I used a bit
of sourdough starter that I had burbled a day earlier, and some fresh
yeast, but that's me.

1 cup cooked wild rice - do not add this hot to the dough. It can be
room temp or from the fridge.

1/3 cup buttermilk

About 1 1/2 cups of water (if you do what I do, and add in about a cup
of rolled oats, you will need maybe half a cup more water, too)

Combines everything but the water and buttermilk together in the bowl
of a mixer.

Gradually add the milk and water. Knead for no longer than 5 minutes
by machine. Turn out into an oiled bowl and refrigerate over night. It
will be sticky. That's a Good Thing.

In the morning, allow it to come warm up a bit for perhaps 2 hours,
then shape into loaves. You will get at least 2 loaves from this,
depending on the size of your pans.

Allow to rise in a draft-free area until the dough comes up over the
edges of the pan.

Slash down the middle of each loaf, use an egg was (1 egg+ 2 tbsp
water) to paint the tops. Sprinkle with oatmeal and or poppy seeds.
Slash down the center

Bake at 350 F for approximately 45 minutes. I spritz it with a water
bottle at the 1, 3, 5 and 7 minute intervals. You can do what you like
- or not.

I like to remove the loaves from the pan after about half an hour in
the oven. No rules about that, but I like the crispier crust..

Bake to an internal temp of 200F.