Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:40:23 -0800, HumBug! >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>>

>>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out just
>>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>>tasting.

>Salt HAS NO FLAVOR.

WRONG!

Salt is one of the flavors humans can taste... sweet, sour, bitter,
salt... never ate pussy, eh? Umami is as far as I'm concerned just
the flavor of a salt (sodium) chemically altered to make foods taste
savory.